Kashmir A First Person Account


Good to refresh our history !

If it was not for Sardar Patel we would have lost Kashmir – this dilly dally approach to things is so typical of our politicians
(which also very much included our great First Prime Minister Jawaharlalji) !!!

This eye witness account by Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw M.C. , of the accession of Kashmir and the subsequent half way cease fire, before the objective was acheived, (The root cause of the Kashmir problem,ever since) will interest you a great deal !!!

———— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— –
“Jawaharlal, do you want Kashmir,
or do you want to give it away?”
Sam Manekshaw, the first Field Marshal in the Indian army, was at the ringside of events when Independent India was being formed. Then a Colonel, he was chosen to accompany V.P. Menon on his historic mission to Kashmir. This is his version of that journey and its aftermath, as recorded in an interview with Prem Shankar Jha.
At about 2.30 in the afternoon, General Sir Roy Bucher walked into my room and said, ‘Eh, you, go and pick up your toothbrush. You are going to Srinagar with V P Menon. The flight will take off at about 4 o’clock’. I said, ‘Why me, sir?’
“Because we are worried about the military situation..”
“V P Menon is going there to get the accession from the Maharaja and Mahajan.” I flew in with V P Menon in a Dakota. Wing Commander Dewan, who was then Squadron Leader Dewan, was also there. But his job did not have anything to do with assessing the military situation. He was sent by the Air Force because it was the Air Force which was flying us in.’
Since I was in the Directorate of Military Operations, and was responsible for current operations all over India, West Frontier, the Punjab, and elsewhere, I knew what the situation in Kashmir was. I knew that the tribesmen had come in – initially only the tribesmen – supported by the Pakistanis.
Fortunately for us, and for Kashmir, they were busy raiding, raping all along. In Baramulla they killed Colonel D O T Dykes.. Dykes and I were of the same seniority. We did our first year’s attachment with the Royal Scots in Lahore, way back in 1934-5. Tom went to the Sikh regiment. I went to the Frontier Force regiment. We had lost contact with each other. He had become a lieutenant colonel. I’d become a full colonel.
Tom and his wife were holidaying in Baramulla when the tribesmen killed them.
The Maharaja’s forces were 50 per cent Muslim and 50 per cent Dogra.
The Muslim elements had revolted and joined the Pakistani forces. This was the broad military situation. The tribesmen were believed to be about 7 to 9 kilometers from Srinagar. I was sent into get the precise military situation. The army knew that if we had to send soldiers, we would have to fly them in. Therefore, a few days before, we had made arrangements for aircraft and for soldiers to be ready.
But we couldn’t fly them in until the State of Kashmir had acceeded to India. From the political side, Sardar Patel and V P Menon had been dealing with Mahajan and the Maharaja, and the idea was that V.P Menon would get the Accession, I would bring back the military appreciation and report to the government. The troops were already at the airport, ready to be flown in. Air Chief Marshall Elmhurst was the Air Chief and he had made arrangements for the aircraft from civil and military sources.
Anyway, we were flown in. We went to Srinagar. We went to the palace. I have never seen such disorganisation in my life. The Maharaja was running about from one room to the other. I have never seen so much jewellery in my life — pearl necklaces, ruby things, lying in one room; packing here, there, everywhere. There was a convoy of vehicles.

The Maharaja was coming out of one room, and going into another saying, ‘Alright, if India doesn’t help, I will go and join my troops and fight (it) out’.
I couldn’t restrain myself, and said, ‘That will raise their morale sir’. Eventually, I also got the military situation from everybody around us, asking what the hell was happening, and discovered that the tribesmen were about seven or nine kilometres from what was then that horrible little airfield.
V P Menon was in the meantime discussing with Mahajan and the Maharaja. Eventually the Maharaja signed the accession papers and we flew back in the Dakota late at night. There were no night facilities, and the people who were helping us to fly back, to light the airfield, were Sheikh Abdullah, Kasimsahib, Sadiqsahib, Bakshi Ghulam Mohammed and D P Dhar with pine torches, and we flew back to Delhi. I can’t remember the exact time. It must have been 3 o’clock or 4 o’clock in the morning.
(On arriving at Delhi) The first thing I did was to go and report to Sir Roy Bucher. He said, ‘Eh, you, go and shave and clean up. There is a cabinet meeting at 9 o’clock. I will pick you up and take you there.’ So I went home, shaved, dressed, etc. and Roy Bucher picked me up, and we went to the cabinet meeting.
The cabinet meeting was presided by Mountbatten. There was Jawaharlal Nehru, there was Sardar Patel, there was Sardar Baldev Singh. There were other ministers whom I did not know and did not want to know, because I had nothing to do with them. Sardar Baldev Singh I knew because he was the Minister for Defence, and I knew Sardar Patel, because Patel would insist that V P Menon take me with him to the various states.
Almost every morning the Sardar would sent for V P, H M Patel and myself. While Maniben (Patel’s daughter and de facto secretary) would sit cross-legged with a Parker fountain pen taking notes, Patel would say, ‘V P, I want Baroda. Take him with you.’ I was the bogeyman. So I got to know the Sardar very well.
At the morning meeting he handed over the (Accession) thing. Mountbatten turned around and said, ‘ Come on Manekji (He called me Manekji instead of Manekshaw), what is the military situation?’ I gave him the military situation, and told him that unless we flew in troops immediately, we would have lost Srinagar, because going by road would take days, and once the tribesmen got to the airport and Srinagar, we couldn’t fly troops in.

Everything was ready at the airport.

As usual Nehru talked about the United Nations, Russia, Africa, God almighty, everybody, until Sardar Patel lost his temper. He said, ‘Jawaharlal, do you want Kashmir, or do you want to give it away’. He (Nehru) said,’ Of course, I want Kashmir (emphasis in original). Then he (Patel) said ‘Please give your orders’. And before he could say anything Sardar Patel turned to me and said, ‘You have got your orders’.

I walked out, and we started flying in troops at about 11 o’clock or 12 o’clock. I think it was the Sikh regiment under Ranjit Rai that was the first lot to be flown in. And then we continued flying troops in. That is all I know about what happened. Then all the fighting took place. I became a Brigadier, and became Director of Military Operations and also if you will see the first signal to be signed ordering the cease-fire on 1 January (1949) had been signed by Colonel Manekshaw on behalf of C-in-C India, General Sir Roy Bucher. That must be lying in the Military Operations Directorate.

Excerpted from Kashmir 1947, Rival Versions of History, by Prem Shankar Jha, Oxford University Press, 1996, Rs 275

The greatest glory of living is not in never falling, but in rising everytime you fall.


2 thoughts on “Kashmir A First Person Account

  1. Typical Sam Bahadur Language–no frills or embellishments-plain SledgeHammer Narration !

  2. This is a story which will always be of interest to all Indians and specially to the Services, no matter how often one reads it or hears it.

    Have read a few reports on events of those days, and as often happens, more so with first person accounts, minor differences do emerge. Hoping someone will be good enough to throw more light with authenticated information.

    There are a few variations from other reports, which may be of interest to others:

    Following the sequence of events narrated here, the flight obviously took place on 26 Oct 47 as it says the ‘next day’ there was a Cabinet meeting following which orders were given to fly in troops, which happened soon thereafter around noon. We know the airlift started on 27 Oct 47.

    While the date of the start of the air lift is not in doubt, the timing mentioned, of around noon, is. According to reports on the Bharat Rakshak site http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1948War/1076-Dakotas.html the first take off was at 0500 on 27 Oct.

    Air Mshl Bharat Kumar (Retd), an authoritative IAF historian, has interestingly given some variations in the schedule and sequence of events. I must admit I have not read the Air Mshl’s book, but have obtained the information personally and verbally from him.

    According to him, this particular flight took place a day earlier, on 25 Oct. Along with Field Marshal Maneckshaw, VP Menon and Wg Cdr Dewan (Dir Ops at Air Hq), there was also then Capt, Lt Gen SK Sinha on board. After landing, while Sam Bahadur and VP Menon went off to the palace, Wg Cdr Dewan and Capt Sinha stayed on at the airfield and did their own liaison work for the troop movement and flights which were to follow.

    Contrary to what is mentioned here, VP Menon could not get Hari Singh to sign the Instrument of Accession that very day, he did manage to to get an assurance that he would do so the next day. Thereafter Hari Singh, who had been making hurried and panicky preparations to move to Jammu, departed Srinagar. The Delhi contingent also returned. The next morning, 26 Oct, Menon flew to Jammu and managed to get Hari Singh’s signature and flew back to Delhi.

    There is yet another account on this on the Kashmir Newz website at http://www.kashmirnewz.com/history.html :

    “Exactly when did Hari Singh sign the Instrument of Accession, has been hotly debated for over 59 years. Official Indian accounts state that in the early hours of the morning of October 26, Hari Singh fled from Srinagar, arriving in Jammu later in the day, where he was met by V P Menon, representative of Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, and signed the Instrument of Accession. On the morning of October 27, Indian troops were airlifted in to Srinagar to repel Pakistani’s raiders.”

    However, in reading the full account of the interview Field Marshal Maneckshaw gave Prem Shankar Jha (the one excerpted here) it gets more curious. The FM has humbugged the theory that the signing took place at Jammu. http://umarblogs.blogspot.in/2008/09/maharaja-signed-instrument-of-accession.html

    “(PSJ) -“You went in on the afternoon of the 25th. When you got to Srinagar, were you actually present when the Maharaja signed the Instrument of Accession?
    (SM): I was in the palace when V P Menon, Mahajan, and the Maharaja were discussing the subject. The Maharaja was running from one room to another…..I did not see the Maharaja signing it, nor did I see Mahajan. All I do know is that V P Menon turned around and said, ‘Sam we’ve got the Accession.’
    He said that to you.
    Yes, yes he turned around to me, and so we flew back.
    And you were actually present the next morning when V P Menon handed this over during that…..
    (Interrupting) I was at the cabinet meeting presided over by Mountbatten when it was handed over….we’d got the Accession. I can’t understand why anyone said that the thing was signed in Jammu, because we never went to Jammu.”

    Check the first question from Jha, he says “You went in on the afternoon of the 25 Oct”. This tallies with Air Mshl Bharat Kumar’s version. Yet, in the interview it appears that they got back from Srinagar around 0300 – 0400 hrs and attended a meeting at 0900 in the morning. Following the meeting, troops were airlifted to Srinagar, which would mean the troops moved in on 26 Oct, since they went to Srinagar on 25 Oct. However, we know for sure that the flights started on 27 Oct.This throws some doubt about the dates and sequence.

    While history will not get rewritten because of these minor differences, it would be nice to have some authenticated version so that the events can be chronicled correctly.

    Many thanks for your patience and I hope I make sense!

    Wg Cdr Dara Cooper (Retd)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s